Clinton’s Emails Back to Haunt Her?
Last Friday, 11 days before the November 8 election, FBI Director James Comey informed Congress that the agency was investigating a new batch of emails connected to Hillary Clinton. Questions about emails have dogged the Democratic presidential candidate since the beginning of the race. Her critics, including Republican candidate Donald Trump, have long charged that Clinton may have mishandled classified information by using a private email server during her time as secretary of state (2009-2013). This past summer, after examining thousands of Clinton’s emails from that period, Comey cleared Clinton of any criminal wrongdoing. But Comey’s announcement about newly discovered emails raises fresh questions about Clinton’s actions, even though it’s not yet clear whether the new emails will lead investigators to reach a different conclusion than they did before. Clinton’s campaign, and even some Republicans, have criticized Comey’s announcement, saying he may be unfairly influencing the election.
- Who are the people depicted in the cartoon, and what are they doing?
- How does the cartoonist use the trick-or-treat theme to illustrate the conflict between Clinton and Comey?
- Why do you think the man on the doorstep says, “This is rigged”? What other politician has used this term to refer to the 2016 presidential election?
- What point do you think the cartoonist is trying to make?
- Do you think Comey’s announcement will change voters’ views of Hillary Clinton? Why or why not?