Untangling From Obamacare
During the 2016 presidential election, President Trump promised to immediately repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare. The health care law has provided health insurance to 20 million previously uninsured people. But Trump calls it a “failed disaster” that has driven up health care costs and harmed insurance companies. However, Trump acknowledged this month that a replacement isn’t likely to be ready until either the end of this year or in 2018 because, as he told a gathering of the nation’s governors, health care is “an unbelievably complex subject.” Both supporters and critics of the law are concerned that repealing it without an adequate replacement could result in millions of Americans losing their insurance.
- What does the doctor in the cartoon represent? How about the patient?
- Why do you think the cartoonist depicts Obamacare as a giant octopus?
- Why is the octopus wrapped around the head of the patient? What is it doing to the doctor?
- What’s ironic about the doctor’s statement?
- What point is the cartoonist trying to make? Do you agree or disagree?
- Why do you think the health care system is so complicated? Do you think Republicans will be able to come up with a good alternative to Obamacare?